Are they right for you?
Dental Implants are a great alternative to traditional crowns, bridgework, and dentures. If the tooth becomes non-restorable implants are definitely something to consider.
The Planning Process
· The Dental Implant process takes roughly a year from start to finish.
· The first step is a pre-treatment consultation with Dr. Killian. He is going to discuss the process, what he is looking for in order to have a successful implant.
· After that a 3D scan, digital models, and an exam will be done to determine if you are a good candidate for a dental implant.
· With this information Dr. Killian will be able to look at bone density, depth, and the width of the bone ridge in order to make sure the implant is successful.
· We are capable of creating a custom guide specifically for you. The software plans out where the implant will go and Dr. Killian plans the entire implant.
Extraction/ Bone Graft
· The next step is to extract the non-restorable tooth. If the bone is sufficient you may not need a bone graft. If more bone is needed to ensure a successful implant a graft will be done.
· The bone graft is done at the time of extraction. Your blood is drawn to be added to the cortical bone that will be placed into the extraction site. This will help speed up healing process.
· After the extraction/ bone graft there is a 6 month waiting period.
· The initial implant placement is a fairly quick procedure. You will be numbed with local anesthesia. Dr. Killian will then place the implant. The process takes about an hour.
· We place a healing collar in the implant to ensure the tissue does not heal over the implant.
· After the implant is placed there is a 3-4 month healing period.
· The final step is the restoration.
· We mill a crown in house and seat it the same day. We are meticulous about making sure the color matches your teeth. We want your implant to look like all your other teeth. No one will know that it is not real!
· That appointment will take about 1.5-2 hours.
· Proper Maintenance is important throughout the process. The extraction/ bone graft needs to heal and create new gum tissue and grow new bone.
· The implant needs to integrate in the bone for 4—6 months.
· Instructions will be given to you throughout the process to ensure you are able to take care of your implant site through the entire process.
· Finally, you will care for your implant with home care protocols just like your regular teeth!